Today, we want to talk to you about the Spanish guarantee of origin of wine, the DO. Wine and vineyards are intricately linked to the Spanish culture. When we talk about a product that is so deeply rooted in this society, we cannot miss to talk about the levels of protection that are inherent to it.
The world of wine is very vast are fascinating. We could write pages upon pages about it. But first, we would like to classify wines into two major categories:
- High quality wines cultivated in designated areas: produced and elaborated in a designated place with indigenous raisins of high quality.
- Table wines: they are regulated, but do not enjoy any recognition and are not associated with a specific protected geographic zone.
A DO is a protection system designating a wine that has been produced in a specific region.
This wine has been elaborated under the unique conditions of the terrain, with indigenous grapes, and is of high quality.
WINE PROTECTION SYSTEM
In Spain, the autonomous regions hold the competence for the regulation of agriculture.
The Designation of Origin is the most common qualification, but there are other levels of protection.
In accordance with the Spanish Law 2/2020 from March 5th concerning viniculture from the Institut Català de la Vinya y el Vi (Catalan Institute for Wine and Vineyards), in Catalonia, wines are protected under the following regulations:
TYPES OF QUALITY WINES
- Wine without geographical indication: This is the lowest level or protection. On these wines, it is not mandatory to specify neither the year, nor the grape or the origin.
- Wines with protected geographical indication (IGP): These wines were elaborated in a specific region and with grapes from that region. Normally, these zones aspire to become a Designation of Origin.
- Protected Designation of Origin (DOP): This certifies that the grapes come from a specific area and that the wine respects the regulation of the council for the DO.
- Qualified Designation of Origin (DOCa): In Catalonia, only DO Priorat holds this certification, since it is a higher level of protection than a DO and therefor is more demanding. To obtain a DOCa, all the wine production must be destined to be sold in bottles, whereas that of a simple DO can be sold by the litre.
- Wine from a qualified farm: This is the highest recognition for Catalan wines. To obtain this certification, very strict requirements must be met, which aim to emphasize the character of a wine from a specific territory. As of today, only 12 wines from five vinicultural DO farms hold this certification. Other Spanish regions don’t usually use this classification, but instead apply the Designation Vino de Pago (VP, Paying Wine) which also represents the summit of quality wines.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CATALAN WINES
As of today, there are 55 grape varieties in Catalonia. The wine agriculture in this territory is strongly influenced by the geographical diversity und the Mediterranean climate. Moderately hot summers, cold winters without freezing and concentrated rains in autumn and spring, but also zones of continental climate influence on the diversification of the wines.
Due to the mountainous orography of the terrain, the cultivation of grapes is majorly concentrated on the precoastal regions, the flats of low altitudes of the Depressió Central and the flat of the Emporà.
Here are some interesting facts about wine production in Catalonia:
- The geographical diversity allowed the creation of different designation of origin with a total surface of 55,000 hectares.
- In 2018, 435 million kilograms of grapes were harvested.
- More than 60% of the wine is destined to the production of cava.
- 25% of the Spanish wines with a DO certification originate from Catalonia.
TYPES OF DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN
There are 12 designations of origin in Catalonia, of which the Priorat holds the highest certification. The only other region holding this certification in Spain is La Rioja.
- Alella DO
- Cava DO
- Catalunya DO
- Conca de Barberà DO
- Costers del Segre DO
- Empordà DO
- Montsant DO
- Penedès DO
- Pla de Bages DO
- Priorat DOCa
- Tarragona DO
- Terra Alta DO
AGUST BARCELONA RELIES ON THE DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN
Now that we understand what wines with a DO certification are and how they are classified, we also understand why the DO is so important to Agust Barcelona.
First, Agust Barcelona relies strongly on quality wine because we value the great effort that all the people involved in the wine-producing sector put into their work. It is our way of rewarding the great work and the sacrifices the viticulturists realize. To obtain a DO certification requires consistent and arduous work over years. Therefor we count on quality wine.
Further, it is important for us to support local products elaborated in our territory, which is why most of the wines on our menu are from Catalan DO’s. This way, we demonstrate our gratitude and distribute our wines. For example, our menu includes the following DO-certified Catalan wines: Terra Alta, Montsant, Penesès, Empordà, Costers del Segre, Pla de Bages, Priorat, Catalunya y Cava. Our guests can also discover other DO-certifies wines from Spain and France.
Finally, these wines are not easy to find, which is why Agust Barcelona is the perfect location to enjoy a large variety of unique and selected wines.
Come visit us and choose a wine from our variety. Which will be your favourite wine?
Each of the wines we offer disposes of completely unique aromas and tastes. Thanks to the unique and particular conditions of the soil, each wine possess a special character. Therefor all our wines are a perfect match for the plates we serve.
Our staff will gladly advise you on which wine goes best with your meal.
With all this varied offer of DO wines, Agust Barcelona is an obligatory stop for wine lovers.
WE WELCOME YOU TO AGUST BARCELONA
We can’t wait for you to come visit our restaurant to enjoy an authentic and delicious gastronomical experience. You do not want to miss this!